My Nightmare Before Christmas cutouts for my house turned out awesome! I hope the kids in my neighborhood recognize it! :) Happy 20th NBC!
In honor of the 20th Anniversary of this fabulous movie, I am making silhouette cutouts for the windows in my house for Halloween this year! I finished them for now, I just need to hang and light them in the windows. Pics of the finished display to come in the next few days (hopefully).
I just wanted to post some concept art for the “Storybook” video game I’m working on. The last one is still unfinished.
To do a quick summary of the game, it’s about a struggling artist/writer who can’t get past his writer’s block. He crumbles up many, many drawings and the hero (not pictured yet) comes out of them as a loose sketch. Soon, he and his world gain more color and detail as the hero, and personification of the author, overcome his obstacles. As to what is causing the frustration, the author’s daughter died and the hero/king in the world of crumpled and cast off ideas is forever trying to rescue “his princess.”
I am not the writer for the story, but I am the only artist working on this game right now. I’m doing my best to use the influences of children’s storybooks as well my own illustration combined with a digital format. So far I think it’s successful and my director seems happy as well :) (but there have been a LOT of things thrown out too!!)
Since I’ve had a lot of people ask me how I made my pick axe, I wanted to post a short tutorial of how I did it :)
I started with 1 inch MDF board (compressed wood if you aren’t familiar with it) and then drew the axe (without the blade) twice side by side. It will need to be thicker since the blade is only going to be use one inch of the board. Draw the blade separately so you have three different things to cut out.
After I had my designs, I roughly cut them out with a bandsaw. Then I took wood glue and glued the two pieces of the axe (no blade) back to back. (This now makes it two inches so I can carve into it later.)
After it was dry, I used a drill press scroll saw and cut out the holes in the axe. I also took the axe handle back to the bandsaw so I could fit the blade inside the top. This was a lot of approximation to make it fit.
The next step was the most tedious—I used only a dremmel with various head tools to carve it down into a shape. Then I sanded it smooth.
Then I primed it white and began painting it with acrylics (red and blacks). I wanted it to be really beat up and weathered, so I also used silver spray paint for accents on the handle edges to appear as if the metal was wearing through. (I used the same silver spray to paint the blade.) After that I added tape and used a similar weathering method with water and acrylics to get the desired effect. Lastly I added the leather cord at the bottom.
And here’s the finished product!